Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Point Grill

Yesterday, my friend/roommate Eva (of The Hungry Undergrad) and I were too lazy to cook, so we decided to go to the new(ish) restaurant on campus, The Point Grill.  According to the website, it is an "innovative upscale casual dining restaurant with exceptional cuisine, beautiful and stylish decor, and cheerful service in a relaxed lounge style environment."
Right, well that may be a bit of an exaggeration - I'm not sure I'd call it innovative, or the cuisine exceptional, or the decor beautiful... but let's have a look at what we had, shall we?
We both started with a local beer - a Granville Island Pale Ale, which was very nice.  $5 for a bottle too, which is relatively good value.  They also had it on tap.  They have a pretty large selection of drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, including some nice looking but relatively expensive cocktails.
They had a good selection of appetizers, but Eva and i went straight for the mains.  Since the restaurant is primarily a grill, they had a lot of burgers, steaks etc. but there were also some alternatives like big salads and pasta and noodle bowls - see the menu here.
I had a Berber Chicken Burger with garlic fries
Eva had Wild Salmon Fish and Chips


The Verdict:


My chicken burger was well cooked and had a nice avocado salsa, and the fries were nice and crisp and very garlicky! I tried a bit of Eva's fish, and despite my reservations, the deep fried salmon actually worked - I thought it would be too fatty, but it was just right - although the batter could have been a bit more crispy.  Overall, I enjoyed the meal, and will definitely go back.  The service was very friendly and fast, and I liked the atmosphere of the place.  The prices were reasonable, but possibly a bit steep for the quality of the food, although there are big portion sizes to make up for it. If you are at UBC and you want some tasty, laid back food, here is the place to go - just perhaps not if you are on a diet!

1 comment:

  1. YUM. next time defs getting the veggie burger or the pizza. if the baker decides to send them their dough though!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)