Friday, October 1, 2010

Quick Heads-Up

Longer post coming later, but I just wanted to draw your attention to something that I am very excited about.  You may remember that in my last post I mentioned how Jon Boden is one of the most awesome people on the planet? Well one of the most awesome things that he has done in his lifetime was starting the band Bellowhead with Jon Spiers.  Bellowhead are an 11-piece band who play their own take on traditional folk music, and I absolutely love them! I finally got to see them live at a festival this summer after a good two or three years' wait, and let me tell you they were well worth it!
The man in action!
They sent the crowd (most of whom had never heard of them before) wild - I have never danced so hard in my life!
Bellowhead's new album, Hedonism comes out on Monday, and I am ridiculously excited for it, so it's just as well I found this to tide me over - an online player where you can listen to the entire album!

Tracks I would recommend (although I do like all of them):
New York Girls - a story about a man who gets swindled by a prostitute then press-ganged into the merchant navy
Cross-eyed and Chinless - a folk tune with attitude!
Cold Blows the Wind - a traditional story of a woman who's dead lover gets annoyed with her constant grieving - see also one of my favourite songs of all time: Sound Of A Drum by Seth Lakeman
Yarmouth Town - a song about a sailor and the very promiscuous daughter of a landlord.
All good folk themes there - songs with scandalous lyrics are nothing new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)