Sunday, November 7, 2010

Artist of (last) Week - Elbow

I have had news that someone out there actually likes this feature! Hurrah! Sorry this is a bit late, this week has been an interesting one, and these things take time. Hopefully this can become a Thursday thing.

Artist of the Week - Elbow




Elbow are a five-piece band from Manchester who play some beautiful music. They consist of Guy Garvey, Mark Potter, Craig Potter, Pete Turner and Richard Jupp. They formed in 1997 and have always been a staple of the indie crowd, but became more popular with the masses (including me) after their album "The Seldom Seen Kid" won the Mercury Music Prize in 2008, and also after their song "One Day Like This" was widely featured on TV, including on the BBC coverage of the Beijing Olympics.  They have a rich, heavily instrumented sound, which compliments Guy Garvey's powerful, seemingly love-lorn voice and heartfelt, straight-talking lyrics.

Here are a selection of my favourite Elbow songs - it is so hard to choose just a few, so I have ended up with 10! My favourite album is of course The Seldom Seen Kid, the one I heard first, so most of these songs will be from that album.

One Day Like This
This, along with Grounds For Divorce is probably their most well known song, mainly because they are in so many trailers and adverts.

Grounds For Divorce


Powder Blue
I do love this song, but the saxophone bit at the end always reminds me of this

Bones Of You
This is definitely one of my absolute favourites. Plus the video is really cool!


Forget Myself
There is so much going on in this song, love it!

Some Riot
This one always sends shivers up my spine!

Not A Job
Some nice synth going on here

Mirrorball
I've mentioned this before - I absolutely adore it! I first heard it on "The Chain" on the Radcliffe and Maconie Show

I've Got Your Number
Intimate.


Weather To Fly
Lovely and chilled.

If you like the music of Elbow, or the type of music that I feature in Artist of the Week, I would recommend listening to Guy Garvey's radio show on BBC 6music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)