Thursday, November 25, 2010

Artist of the Week - Stornoway

I've been saving this one up, but I can't keep it in any more!

Artist of the Week - Stornoway






Stornoway are a band from Oxford - my home town - and I absolutely adore their music! I first came across them in 2008 when the one of the young enterprise groups at my school made a CD of local unsigned bands. The band started with two university friends, then grew so now it includes two pairs of brothers - Brian and (occasionally) Adam Briggs, Ollie and Rob Steadman, Jonathan Ouin and sometimes Rahul Satija.  They have an earthy, acoustic sound, sometimes described as folky (although I don't think that is very accurate).  One of the things that makes them stand out is Brian Brigg's gorgeous lyrics, as well as his (and the other members of the band's) vocals. They have been around for a few years, and finally signed to famous indie label 4AD and released an album, Beachcomber's Windowsill earlier this year. They are about to embark on a north american tour, and will be in Vancouver in a couple of weeks. The fact that I am desperate to see them then, even though I have already seen them play 4 times probably tells you just how much I love them :). Oh, and another reason that they are right up my street - the lead singer has a PhD in ducks!

So, on to the music! Considering that I like every single one of their songs, this could be long!

On The Rocks
Definitely one of my absolute favourites. About the links between Oxford and London.

Coldharbour Road
Kind of moody, gorgeous instrumentation and vocals, beautiful lyrics.

Zorbing
This was a pretty popular single back home earlier this year. Brian's voice is stunning!

Battery Human
Charming, and thought-provoking!

I Saw You Blink
Cheerful and upbeat. If you listen to it through headphones, you can hear the morse code for the title being scraped out on a guiro at about 1:43!

Unfaithful
I was very surprised when this wasn't on Beachcombers Windowsill - it's brilliant! Lyrics are spot on!

Fuel Up
Pretty sure anyone can relate to this song.


Long Distance Lullaby
So. Adorable.

Watching Birds
Something a little different

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)