Friday, November 19, 2010

Artist of the Week - Dan Mangan

What a nightmarish few days I've had! I am so happy that they are over, and I will hopefully be seeing Harry Potter this weekend! I actually have a Canadian artist of the week this week - so far they have all been British.

Artist of the Week - Dan Mangan


Dan Mangan is a singer-songwriter from Vancouver.  I first came across him when he played at the welcome ceremony for international students at the start of my first year of university - I think they picked him because he has a degree from the forestry department of UBC (and because he is awesome).  He is known for his melancholy lyrics and gravelly voice and he has released two albums, Postcards and Daydreaming and Nice, Nice, Very Nice. His most well known song is probably Robots - he always makes the crowd sing along to it at gigs! My friend went to see him at The Vogue last week and I am incredibly jealous!

I'm afraid I don't have his first album, so here are some of my favourite songs from Nice, Nice, Very Nice and his single Roboteering

Road Regrets
Life on the road


Sold


Basket


Tragic Turn of Events / Move Pen Move
This really is tragic. Heart-rendingly so.


Pine For Cedars
Lots of hidden Vancouver references in here


Tina's Glorious Comeback






Et Les Mots Croisés

Ok, I'll admit it, the main reason I love this song is that he says "allons y" at the beginning (I am a massive Doctor Who geek)




and of course,
Robots



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)