Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Artist of the Week - Karine Polwart


I chose my artist of the week because of her song Medusa, a poignant song about remembrance, which is fitting for today. Today I am going to a remembrance service, because I think it is important to remember and show respect for those people who put their lives on the line to defend us. We all know someone who is or was in the military, and it is important to show them our support - I wear my poppy with pride :)

Artist of the Week - Karine Polwart


Photograph by David Angel


Karine Polwart is a scottish singer-songwriter. I first came across her at Wood festival, which is incidentally run by my old Latin teacher's children, along with Truck festival - she was actually staying in my old teacher's house, apparently she is very nice! She has a somewhat folky sound, and has taken part in many collaborations with other folk artists as well as releasing four solo albums and five singles to date. I love her voice, and her accent really suits the sort of music she makes. I'm not feeling particularly eloquent today, so I think I'll let her music do the talking!


Medusa
Poignant and thought-provoking


Maid of the Loch
I find this song incredibly catchy and sing-along-able



Sorry
Quite a dark one, a lot of her songs are



Rivers Run
A nice one. I really like the guitar on this one




Dowie Dens of Yarrow
A traditional scottish song. I've also heard a Canadian version, so I guess it made it's way over here too.





Find more artists like Karine Polwart at Myspace Music



Sorrowlessfield
About the one farm in the borders to have all it's men return safely after a particular battle in the 1500s, called Sorrowlessfield ever since


Beo
Lovely and soothing. You get some nice anecdotes at the beginning of this clip as a bonus.




We're All Leaving - Darwin Song Project
Part of the Darwin Song Project, when a group of folk artists got together in a house and wrote songs for the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth, and the 150th of the publication of On The Origin Of Species in 2009. I'll let her explain the significance of the song:




If you like Karine's music, there are some free tracks available at her website http://www.karinepolwart.com/

1 comment:

Please leave a comment :)