Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Artist of the Week - Richard Hawley

Wow, what a day! My first dissection lab of the year and a chemistry midterm in the same day - and the work isn't over yet, since I have another test tomorrow (just a small one, luckily). Just a quickie then, before I go to sleep!

Artist of the Week - Richard Hawley




Richard Hawley is a guitarist and singer from Sheffield.  Probably most famous for his work in the band Pulp, he also has also made several solo albums.  He first came to my attention as a solo artist pretty recently, when he made a radio series investigating how sea faring culture has influenced british music, literature, poetry and art. I found the series to be really interesting and insightful, and it brought his music to my attention, since the introduction to each program was the introduction from one of his songs that has come to be my favourite track of his.
A very talented guitarist, Richard Hawley has a remarkably rich, deep voice that lends itself perfectly to relaxed, soulful songs.  He only really sings in his solo work, but I'm going to pick a variety of tracks to give you a taste of his work.


Pulp
No piece that mentions Pulp would be complete without a couple of their most famous songs, so here we have them: (Hawley is on guitar -with the sunglasses- Jarvis Cocker sings)


Disco 2000 



Common People



Collaboration with Elbow
Hawley also did a track with one of my favourite bands, Elbow (possibly an upcoming band of the week) on their most recent album.
The Fix



Solo Work
Here are some of my favourite solo tracks by Richard Hawley


Cole's Corner
A perfectly chilled song about a famous lovers' meeting place in Sheffield



Shallow Brown
Hawley's version of a traditional sea shanty, featuring Smoke Fairies - unfortunately I can't find a link for this :( You'll just have to take my word for it!


The Ocean
My absolute favourite Richard Hawley Song - it shows off his voice and guitar skills beautifully!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)