Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A New Feature? Artist of the Week

This may become a new feature on my blog, depending on whether I remember to do it every week! I have a pathological need to share my music tastes with everyone, so what better way to do it than in the form of a blog post - I've already had a go at it!
I intend to post an entry about a different artist or band I like every week, and hopefully every so often, you might see someone you know or will get to like! So, off we go on week one...

Artist of the Week - Bat For Lashes


Bat For Lashes, aka the annoyingly talented and pretty Natasha Khan, is a "singer/ songwriter, multi- instrumentalist and visual artist " from London.  I first became aware of her by watching the culture show in February 2007 and hearing this:



and I immediately booked tickets to see her when she came to Oxford the next week!
Her music is kind of wacky, and not to everyone's taste, that's for sure, but after the release of her second album, Two Suns she became pretty popular back home in the UK.  Her music is hard to explain - it could possibly be described as experimental dream-pop, but perhaps it would be better just to listen to some of her songs.  Here are a few of my favourites:
Tahiti


The Wizard


Priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDfjVT1-mwY

Glass


Siren Song


Daniel - a big hit back home, and apparently inspired by The Karate Kid!


Let me know what you think of her, or whether you think that this feature is a good idea (although if you say it isn't I'm likely to ignore you, I'm afraid - I really do have a pathological need to force my music tastes on others, and it has to come out somewhere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)