Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Thanksgiving Dinner

I don't really celebrate thanksgiving - we don't have it in England, as I have repeatedly had to tell people here - but I figured that a 3-day weekend was something to celebrate, so I made a vaguely festive meal - steak with hassleback potatoes and peas! I also made "Pumpkin Pie in a Pan" from this recipe, but I won't go into that in detail, since it wasn't my recipe.
I'm going to focus in this post on the potatoes.  In the spirit of full disclosure, they didn't turn out exactly as planned - I think the oven needed to be hotter, but since I was cooking the pie at the same time, I couldn't crank up the heat. They were still good though, so I'm going to share the recipe

Hassleback Potatoes


hassleback potatoes are basically roast potatoes, but they are cut open to help them cook so you don't have to par-boil them.

IMG_1539

Start off with some potatoes, as many as you think you can eat.  Longer, more oval shaped ones are ideal, but I could only find round ones, and they work just the same.  You want them to be relatively small, whatever shape they are.  No need to peel them if they look like the ones in the picture, just wash them and chop off any gnarly bits.
Now for the hassleback part:

IMG_1540
slice into the potatoes, almost all the way through, but NOT all the way (it is surprisingly difficult, so don't be surprised if it takes a couple of tries to get it right).

IMG_1541
Put them in a roasting tin and drizzle them with olive oil. As you can see, I had some trouble slicing the potatoes, and ended chopping off the ends of a few of them!

IMG_1542

Then sprinkle with salt, and put them in the oven at about 400F for around half an hour, or until the potatoes are cooked through.

IMG_1543
et voila!
As I said earlier, I had mine with steak and peas

IMG_1547

Yum! I love meat.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious!! I'm glad you sort of celebrated thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)