Thursday, October 21, 2010

Music to Play Very Loudly - Part 1!

Now, I'm not necessarily an advocate of blasting music through headphones - it damages your ears, and if you are in public it can be incredibly annoying for other people - but there are some tunes which sometimes deserve to be turned up to 11.  I usually keep my ipod turned way down, but by turning it up a little one can hear how all the individual parts of the music magically come together to form that piece that you love.
If you continue to read this blog, you will come to learn that I am a great fan of making playlists, so today I decided to come up with a playlist of some of the music that cries out to me to play it loudly!
A lot of the stuff I end up blasting through my headphones is classical, so I have split the playlist into two sections - popular (I can find no other way of classifying these tracks!) and classical. Popular today - Classical will come tomorrow!

Popular
(I'm leaving out the obvious ones, and party-pleasers e.g. 80's power ballads. Much as I love them, I'm going for ones you may not have thought of here)


Sound Of A Drum - Seth Lakeman
I've mentioned this in a previous post, but it really is one of my favourite songs of all time.  The bass, oh man, the bass! Some day soon I'm going to break the woofers in my car because I play this so much with the bass turned way up.  Turn the volume right up for the beginning - I promise you, you won't regret it (unless you have crappy speakers) - it never fails to send shivers up my spine!




This Charming Man - The Smiths
weirdly upbeat for The Smiths, this song will never cease to make me dance around like a lunatic - love the guitar line, Johnny Marr!



Big Love (live) - Fleetwood Mac
I loooooooooooove Fleetwood Mac, and I would do *anything* to see them live. Sadly, this is the closest I've been to being at a concert of theirs.  This live version is from one of their "Best Of" albums, and Lindsay Buckingham's guitar playing is unbelievable! However, one time I played it for one of my friends and they asked me if the cd was skipping! These are the perils of playing music too quietly, so make sure you turn it up to get the full effect of the remarkable guitar playing!



Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I don't usually like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs that much, but this song won me over - it's great fun, funky and kind of sinister!



Neighborhood 3 (Power Out) - Arcade Fire
You can only get the full force of this band if you see them live, but you can get a taste of it by turning this up!


Golden Brown - The Stranglers
The accompaniment to this song is so simple, but so affective - I have to hear it properly!



Sæglópur - Sigur Rós
When I went to see Sigur Rós, they made it rain in front of the stage during this song, so now I always think of a sudden rainstorm when I hear this.  Turning it up really helps you appreciate how dense the fabric of this song is.


Mirrorball - Elbow
I get lost in the repeating backing tune of this song, and the orchestration is just swoon-worthy! Elbow at their best!


Do you Love Me? - The Contours
Cue: me dancing around my room like a nutter




I could go on and on and on, but I think you probably get the picture! What songs do you have to play loudly? Or are you more sensible about you hearing than I am?

Oh, and one last thing:

Pure cheese - I just had to!

Back soon with part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)