Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hale and Hearty

I finally found beef short-ribs in a supermarket! I've been wanting to cook with them for ages, since they are the perfect meat for slow-cooking, and are just generally very tasty.  I got a bit overexcited and ended up buying 6, which is enough to last me for almost a week, so there will be another short-rib recipe coming up soon, I expect.

Hearty Beef Short-rib Stew
serves 3-4
1 onion
2 small turnips
2 carrots
about 400g chestnut or other mild mushrooms
3 or 4 beef short-ribs
flour
1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 star anise
Let's start by preparing some vegetables:
IMG_1562
an onion
IMG_1563
chopped!
IMG_1564
turnips
IMG_1565
chopped!
IMG_1566
carrots
IMG_1567
diced really fine because I don't like cooked carrot!
IMG_1568
mushrooms
IMG_1569
sliced!

now for the meat:

IMG_1570
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... look at that marbling - this is going to be yummy!

IMG_1572
season the short-ribs with salt and pepper

IMG_1573
then coat them in flour.
Heat some butter and oil (this stops the butter from burning) in a pan and seal the meat

IMG_1574

IMG_1575
when they are nice and brown, remove them to a plate

IMG_1577
it's at this point I really wish I had one of those le creuset pans
You will be left with all of this yummy stuff!

IMG_1578
throw in all the vegetables
IMG_1579
don't be like me and throw them all over the cooker.

IMG_1580

stir them around in the nice tasty stuff, and let them cook down for a couple of minutes

IMG_1581
it's at this point that if I had some red wine, I would put in some of that and some beef stock, but I didn't, so I just added 4 cups (just under a litre) of beef stock

IMG_1582
once again, don't be like me and pour half of it on the counter.

IMG_1585

then add chili flakes and nutmeg. If I had star anise, I would also throw one in at this point. The spices just add an extra warmth and depth of flavour, they are not at all overpowering.

IMG_1586

now, add the beef back in, bring to the boil, then cover and cook over a very low heat (i.e. not even a simmer) for 2 and a half hours. If you want the gravy to be thicker, then at the end throw in a spoonful of flour and boil through for a couple of minutes.

IMG_1587

and there we have it! I served mine with mashed potato and kale. The meat was moist and tender, the veggies were melt-in-the mouth and the mushrooms were meaty and flavourful - yum!

2 comments:

Please leave a comment :)